My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa City, Iowa, United States

Born in Shepherdstown, Jefferson County, Va. (now W.Va.), April 1, 1781. Served in the U.S. Army during the War of 1812; member of Ohio state house of representatives, 1808-09, 1831-32; member of Ohio state senate, 1814-22, 1824-30; Governor of Ohio, 1832-36; defeated, 1830; Governor of Iowa Territory, 1838-41; candidate for U.S. Representative from Ohio, 1842; delegate to Iowa state constitutional convention from Johnson County, 1844. Methodist. Member, Freemasons. Died February 7, 1853. Interment at Oakland Cemetery, Iowa City, Iowa. Lucas counties in Iowa and Ohio are named for me.

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Health Care: Old School

I just don't understand health care in this modern age.

When I was born the life expectancy was around 30, but consider all the diseases, lack of immunization, and unsanitary conditions of the time. It's a miracle I made it to 71 years before I kicked off.

I attribute my longetivity to a healthy sex life with my second wife, Friendly, who bore me 7 of my 8 children. Friendly was a good name for her. She was more than just Friendly! Everybody's gotta have a good woman. But that's Iowa City for ya, it'll make ya feel whiggy just by living there.

We didn't have insurance or even much in the way of hospitals in the 1850s. Nevertheless, the local doc always lived in the nicest house in town AND he made house calls! If you couldn't pay cash, he'd gladly accept a plucked chicken in return. You certainly can't get that kind of co-pay deal in this day and age.

Everybody complains about the lack of access to health insurance or the cost of health insurance. Why is it so expensive? You people live way into your 70s and 80s with increasing regularly. Why do you have to take 15 pills a day? Why do you all have 100 pounds extra? Look at my picture. I am fit and trim, even in old age. That's what a lot of walking, hard work, and getting busy at night will do to ya!